Winter Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Winter Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing is a refreshing fruit salad tossed with coconut flakes and a light Greek yogurt poppy seed dressing!
Happy Monday, and I hope you had a great weekend! This Winter Fruit Salad is bright, refreshing, and sure to chase away any of those Monday blues that you might be experiencing today.
It does the trick for me just by looking at it…I mean just look at those colors. 🙂
I’ve told you before that I’m a sucker for food with gorgeous colors, but obviously the flavors need to back them up.
Don’t worry — they do!
The flavors of the fruit salad is perfectly complimented with the crunchy coconut flakes and creamy dressing.
I’ve made this fruit salad recipe so many times in the past few weeks, mainly because I was tinkering with the dressing. Then once I made the dressing, I had to keep making fruit salad so that I could use it up.
Leftover dressing was definitely a nice problem to have. 🙂
I happened to have some fresh key lime juice leftover from the key lime pie I made a few days earlier, so I decided to use it in the dressing. If you don’t have key limes, regular limes will work.
I used coconut milk to thin out the Greek yogurt, and add a bit of flavor and creaminess. And poppy seeds always make dressings more fun don’t they?
As far as prep goes, you can definitely prep the kiwi, orange and pomegranate ahead of time, then add the banana just before serving to prevent it from browning.
The dressing can be made completely in advance — just toss gently into the fruit right before serving. The coconut flakes give this salad a nice crunchy texture that takes it over the top!
This winter fruit salad is your bright spot in your dreary winter, and will definitely get you by until those spring berries are back in season.
As far as I’m concerned, I can live without berries as long as this salad is around.
For the dressing:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 4 tablespoons fresh key lime juice (may be substituted with regular lime juice)
- 3-5 tablespoons agave syrup (may be substituted wth your favorite sweetener)
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
For the salad:
- 4 kiwis, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 clementines or 1 medium navel orange, peeled, sliced width-wise, and broken into pieces
- 1 large banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- coconut flakes, for serving
Prepare the dressing:
- Place the Greek yogurt, key lime juice, 3 tablespoons of the agave syrup, coconut milk, and poppy seeds in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Add the other 1-2 tablespoons more agave syrup if desired.
Prepare the salad:
- Place the fruit in a medium bowl and toss gently with enough dressing to coat the fruit. Serve immediately garnished with coconut flakes, if desired. Enjoy!
- The dressing may be made in advance and stored in an air tight container in the fridge.
- You'll definitely have dressing leftover, so you can either halve the recipe to avoid that, or make more fruit salad! It's also a great topping for pancakes, pound cake, etc.
- You may prep the orange, pomegranate, and kiwi ahead of time, but the banana shouldn't be cut until serving time as it turns brown. The dressing shouldn't be tossed into the salad until right before serving to avoid soggy fruit and to keep the dressing from being thinned out from the fruit juice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 7gSugar: 42gProtein: 9g