Spicy Cheddar Pub Cheese
Spicy Cheddar Pub Cheese is a spiced up cheddar cheese dip that’s on the lighter side with Greek yogurt and low fat cream cheese. It’s big on flavor, and perfect for your Game Day snacking!
It’s all about Game Day food for the first part of this week….I’m just warning you now. I know we’re all serious about our Game Day food whether we’re into the game or not. And quite honestly, I’m just hoping for a good game to watch come Super Bowl Sunday, because none of the teams I really wanted made it. There’s nothing worse than a game won by a landslide…I want a nail-biter!
This is here is one delicious bowl of dip for the big game, which I created as part of Chobani’s DeliciousBowl project to create a healthier dip, appetizer, or dessert for the Super Bowl. I was not paid for this recipe, I’m simply promoting a healthier way to make some of your favorite dips by incorporating Chobani yogurt. If you follow along on my blog regularly, you know I love adding Greek yogurt to my recipes for moisture, tang, and nutrition. For more great ideas on how to use Greek yogurt in your dishes, visit Chobani’s web page.
Have you ever had pub cheese? The stuff is amazingly good, and I wanted to create a recipe for it that’s lighter than usual. The creamy, tanginess of the Greek yogurt really made this dip the perfect thing to combine with grated sharp cheddar cheese and a bit of light cream cheese.
I’m not calling this diet food by any means, but this dip is definitely lighter than traditional pub cheese. I used full fat sharp cheddar, but you can certainly use low fat cheese to make this even lighter than ever if you’re so inclined. This dip is the real deal with big, sharp cheddar cheese flavor, that’s spiced up with plenty of cayenne pepper.
I swapped full fat mayo and cream cheese with 4% Chobani plain Greek yogurt (which is ah-mazing!), and 1/3 less fat neufchâtel cream cheese. I normally always go lighter with these products because I don’t want all of the ingredients to be terribly rich. I think this dip came out perfectly tangy and creamy, and thick enough for dipping and spreading.
This Spicy Cheddar Pub Cheese will satisfy those big cheese cravings we all get when the big game rolls around. Even though you may want to eat the whole bowl, the richness of the dip is nice and filling, so you’ll be satisfied. A little goes a long way…which is built in moderation. And we can all use a little more moderation on Game Day, can’t we? 🙂
- 2 ounces ⅓ less fat neufchâtel cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (I used 4%)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4-6 tablespoons low fat milk*
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, starting with 4 tablespoons of the milk. Process until smooth, adding more milk until you reach the desired consistency, scraping the bowl of the food processor down as necessary. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and process to combine. Store in an air tight container until ready to use, and serve with your favorite chips, pretzels, or breadsticks. Enjoy!
*The dip will become smooth faster if the grated cheese is left out a room temperature for a bit. I left it out at room temperature for the same amount of time as the cream cheese to soften.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.