Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a super moist, whole grain zucchini bread with rolled oats added for an extra hearty, more nutritious bread, with plenty of coconut flair.
I’ve been extremely indecisive lately…before this Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, that is. I had a bazillion zucchini recipe ideas swirling around my head for pancakes, waffles, cookies, muffins, brownies…you name it. Zucchini is so versatile, which is why I love it, but it’s so great in so many ways that I couldn’t channel which one to do first. I finally decided to do an adaptation on my Healthier Zucchini Apple Bread, because my zucchini was going to spoil if I didn’t get on it. I knew this recipe would come out moist and delicious, even with a few significant changes. 🙂
This recipe is different because I substituted old fashioned rolled oats for part of the flour. This means you’re almost getting your morning oatmeal in a loaf — and there’s veggies, too! Despite the fact that there’s zucchini, oats, and whole wheat pastry flour in this bread, I’m not dubbing it “healthy”. There’s still a decent amount of sugar, BUT there’s less than usual, which makes it healthy-er.
You know I’m coconut-crazed, and I’ve been baking with coconut oil like there’s a shortage of coconut. The stuff makes the whole house smell like coconut, and even if coconut oil doesn’t have a distinctive coconut flavor, the smell is enough to make up for it. Coconut oil is better for you than butter, so that’s a plus, and it makes your bread extra moist and it smells heavenly. This bread has the crispiest edges ever right out of the oven, and I think that’s due to the coconut oil, too. I added some sweetened shredded coconut to the bread as well, so this bread put me into a coconutty coma. 🙂
We all know chocolate and zucchini are a match made in heaven, and this bread is no exception. I also love chocolate chips with oatmeal and coconut, so it had to be done. You can leave them out, but I’m thinking you don’t want to. You don’t want to, do you? 😉
I made this bread 3 times in a week and a half, two loaves for us and one for my husband’s work meeting. I mean, I did need to make sure the recipe was spot on, didn’t I? The bread is so moist you won’t believe it, and I’ll warn you right now, it’s Aaaa-ddicting! I looked forward to breakfast every day that it was around, so get that zucchini out of the garden, the farmer’s market, the produce department, or wherever you’re getting it and bake up some bread. Some moist, hearty, coconutty, chocolatey, bread. Your breakfast awaits!
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a standard size loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the oats, flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and coconut oil vigorously, until foamy, about 1 minute. Stir in the grated zucchini until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until incorporated. Fold in the coconut and chocolate chips, and pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and cool completely. Enjoy!
*Canola oil may be substituted for the coconut oil.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.