Easy Homemade Italian Dressing
Upgrade your next salad with fresh, zesty Homemade Italian Dressing! This flavorful salad dressing includes a few simple ingredients and takes just 5 minutes to make!
I plan to share more homemade salad dressing recipes with you this year, because you obviously love them as much as I do. My Greek Salad Dressing was the most popular recipe last year, which really shouldn’t have surprised me.
Simple recipes are often the best, and homemade dressing is a sure fire way to make any salad next level.
My balsamic vinaigrette dressing and apple cider vinegar dressing are staples as they’re sweet and tangy, but sometimes I crave something more zesty and savory like this Homemade Italian Salad Dressing.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- This easy Italian dressing recipe is zesty and savory, with a freshness you can really taste. You’ll never want to purchase store-bought Italian dressing again!
- It includes just 6 simple ingredients and takes 5 minutes to make.
- It’s gluten-free, dairy free, and vegan, and suits most special diets.
- It keeps for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator (if it lasts that long).
There are only 6 ingredients in this recipe, most of which you’ll find in your pantry.
- Red wine vinegar. This ingredient is a must in my opinion, but if you don’t have any on hand, I’d suggest white wine or white balsamic vinegar.
- Lemon juice. Be sure to fresh lemon juice over bottled as it makes such a difference in your dressing!
- Olive oil. Olive oil is the oil of choice for my salad dressings, but it may be substituted with canola oil or whatever you have on hand.
- Dried herbs and spices. This zesty Italian dressing contains garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano and basil. You can certainly use fresh over dried to pump up the flavor.
- Dijon mustard. I rarely make dressing without dijon mustard as it adds a ton of flavor and it also helps emulsify the ingredients.
How to make this recipe
The easiest way to make zesty Italian dressing is in a mason jar. Simply place all ingredients in the mason jar, seal tightly with a lid and shake vigorously until emulsified.
You can also use a bowl and whisk. Add everything but the olive oil into a small bowl and whisk until combined. Add the oil while whisking until emulsified.
Homemade Italian dressing is beyond easy to make! Simply add olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, dried herbs, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to a small mason jar.
Secure the lid, shake vigorously until emulsified and it’s ready to use!
This zesty Italian dressing recipe is healthy as it contains heart healthy olive oil and fresh ingredients. There are no preservatives or fattening additives, so it suits most diets.
Homemade Italian salad dressing will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. The shelf life is shorter than store-bought dressings as it does not contain preservatives.
- Add 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan or nutritional yeast for even more umami flavor!
- The dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks in an air tight container.
- The dressing will solidify once stored in the fridge. Remove for 10-15 minutes to allow it to come to room temperature then shake vigorously before using.
More homemade salad dressing recipes:
- Caesar dressing recipe by the Kitchn
- Coleslaw Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Louie Salad Dressing
- Red Wine Vinaigrette
Did you try this recipe? If so, be sure to leave a review below and tag me @flavorthemoments on Facebook and Instagram
Easy Homemade Italian Dressing
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar and seal tightly with a lid. Shake vigorously until emulsified.3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toss with your salad or pasta salad and enjoy!
- Add 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for extra umami flavor!
- Dressing will keep in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
- The dressing will solidify when chilled. Once chilled, set the dressing out at room temperature for 10-15 minutes and whisk or shake vigorously before using.
- Fresh herbs may be used in place of the dried herbs if you have them on hand.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.