Healthier Blueberry Lemon Muffins
I have blueberry fever, and I’ve been popping them like there’s no tomorrow. I finally decided to bake something with them rather than eat them by the handful. It’s hard not to! They’re so good and they’re SO reasonably priced right now. These Healthier Blueberry Lemon Muffins are a great way to utilize the abundance of blueberries. They’re lemony from the addition of lemon zest and lemon Greek yogurt, and they’re packed with sweet blueberries. I also added angel flake coconut on the top for crunch. I love waking up to a delicious, healthy muffin for breakfast. 😀
This muffin recipe comes at the perfect time, because July is national blueberry month. Now that I gave you that pretty useless bit of information, let’s talk about this muffin. 🙂 Blueberries are such a favorite of mine, and they pair so well with the fresh, citrus flavor of lemon.
I’ve adapted this recipe from my Healthier Hummingbird Muffins, which I adore. I know many muffin recipes utilize applesauce in them in order to cut down fat and provide moisture and flavor. I’m fine adding applesauce when it compliments the flavors, but for me, it just wasn’t working with the blueberry-lemon thing. I added Chobani fat-free lemon yogurt, coconut milk, and a bit more oil. I had some coconut milk leftover in the fridge from a previous recipe, so I thought I’d utilize it here. It worked perfectly, but you can also use low-fat milk or buttermilk instead.
These muffins have plenty of lemon flavor from the lemon zest and yogurt. I toyed with the idea of including a lemon glaze on top, but decided against it this time. It would be wonderful if you want to jazz these muffins up for a brunch or special occasion, but for every day, I love a simple crunch on top like coconut flakes or sliced almonds. 😀
I ate these muffins every single day until they were gone, and I was sad when they were all eaten up. That should tell you something! If you want to start your day with a bright, citrusy, blueberry-filled hello, than these healthier blueberry lemon muffins are just the thing for you. 🙂
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, divided
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- (1) 6 ounce container of non-fat Chobani Greek lemon yogurt
- ½ cup light coconut milk (low fat milk or buttermilk works, too)
- Zest from 1 medium lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- coconut flakes or sliced almonds for the top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line (2) standard muffin pans with 16 paper liners. Spray the paper liners with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, and oil until light. Add the yogurt, milk, lemon zest, and vanilla, and whisk until well blended. Add the dry ingredients, and stir just until combined.
- Toss the blueberries with the tablespoon of flour until coated. This will keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffin during baking. Gently fold the blueberries into the muffin batter until evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the muffin batter into the prepared muffin cups till about ⅔ full. Sprinkle the tops with the coconut flakes or sliced almonds, if desired. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown and the top of the muffin springs back when gently pressed. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack. Store unused muffins in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe from Flavor the Moments.