Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Blueberry Lemon Muffins are whole grain muffins that are studded with fresh blueberries and bursting with fresh lemon flavor!
**This post was originally published in July 2013. The recipe, photos and a large amount of the text have been updated.
I have blueberry fever, and I’ve been popping them like there’s no tomorrow. I finally decided to bake something with them rather than eat them by the handful.
Enter Healthier Blueberry Lemon Muffins!
Blueberry muffins are my all time favorite, and when fresh lemon juice and zest are added to the mix, things get even better.
I’ve adapted this recipe from my Strawberry Banana Muffins, which I adore. They’re completely whole grain with whole wheat white flour, and trust me when I tell you that nobody will know that these are whole grain unless you tell them.
These Blueberry Lemon Muffins are unbelievably tender, and contain minimal oil and no refined sugar.
I use coconut sugar regularly, but you can substitute that with granulated or brown sugar if you prefer.
This recipe used to include Greek yogurt, but over the years I’ve stopped using it in my muffins and quick breads because I prefer the texture of the muffins without it.
I chose to use low fat buttermilk in this recipe, and the result was perfection.
I used fresh blueberries in this recipe, but you can certainly use frozen. Simply thaw and blot dry with a paper towel before folding them into the batter.
Topping these Blueberry Lemon Muffins with glaze would be a wonderful idea if you want to jazz them up for a brunch or special occasion, but for every day I love them just the way they are.
My family blew through a dozen of these muffins in less than two days, so be warned…they will go quickly!
I’d even suggest making a double batch and freezing one for meal prep — just thaw and serve for a quick weekday breakfast or snack.
If you want to start your day with a bright, citrusy, blueberry-filled hello, than these Healthier Blueberry Lemon Muffins are just the thing for you.
More healthy muffin recipes you’ll love!
Applesauce muffins by Well Plated
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or substitute with granulated or brown sugar
- ⅓ cup oil your favorite
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or substitute with your favorite milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and oil vigorously until frothy, about 1 minute. Add the milk, lemon zest, juice and vanilla, and whisk until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir just until almost combined, then gently fold in the blueberries.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the muffin batter evenly between the (12) muffin cups. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and the top of the muffins spring back when gently pressed.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- Store unused muffins in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!
- These muffins are freezer friendly!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.