One Pot Creamy Sausage Red Pepper Pasta
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #thetalkofthetable #CollectiveBias The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
Red Pepper Pasta is an easy one pot red pepper pasta recipe with spicy sausage, spinach and a homemade creamy roasted red pepper sauce!
Whether we like it or not, the holidays are coming fast. The question is, are you ready for them?
With Thanksgiving less than 2 weeks away, we have to start thinking about Christmas Eve, Christmas, and holiday parties. Maybe even work pot lucks or book clubs — there are so many get togethers to plan for it can make a person downright anxious.
Unless you have some great recipes up your sleeve, of course. 🙂
That’s where this Red Pepper Pasta comes in. This pasta fits any type of setting.
It’s cool, casual and elegant and sophisticated. It’s got you covered no matter what type of gathering you have in store.
The inspiration for this one pot red pepper pasta came from my friend Sandy, who hosted a casual dinner party over a month ago. I helped her in the kitchen while she prepared a dish very similar to this, and I told her not to be surprised if she saw an adaptation of her recipe on my blog soon.
I made this recipe my own by giving it a one pot pasta twist, and lightening it up a bit by adding a touch of cream to make just silky and rich enough.
This dish was prepared with Barilla Penne Pasta and paired with Clos du Bois Cabernet Sauvignon. Together, they’re guaranteed to make this meal the talk of the table!
Barilla is the #1 choice of Italy for a reason — it’s great tasting, high quality, and wholesome. It’s a brand that I trust and has been my go to for years!
The Clos du Bois Cabernet Sauvignon was the perfect pairing with this dish as it compliments a wide variety of holiday dishes, especially pasta. Clos du Bois is a premium wine at an unbelievable value, and is elegant and approachable. It’s truly great for any occasion.
Let’s talk more about this amazing one pot roasted red pepper pasta now, shall we? This dish is extra special because of the roasted red pepper cream sauce, hands down.
I use sausage, mushrooms, and some sort of greens in my dishes on a regular basis, but the sauce really sets it apart. It’s a wonderful change from my typical red sauce or pesto, and my family really gave this rave reviews.
If you’re in the mood for a more traditional sauce, try these:
I had some family members over and served this red pepper pasta recipe for dinner, and everyone loved it — even my kids. I’ve mentioned that they don’t normally like pasta dishes unless they’re baked with lots of cheese, but they gave this two thumbs up.
In fact, I’ve put this dish on my Christmas Day menu since everyone loves it so much, and it’s perfect for feeding a crowd.
How to make red pepper pasta
How easy is this meal? Really easy. I’ve told you it comes together in 30 minutes and there’s only one pot to wash. There’s also minimal prep.
I used store bought roasted red peppers, and pureed them in my food processor.
- From there, I cooked the pork sausage, and set is aside.
- Next, I sautéed my onion, mushrooms, and garlic until softened.
- Add the pork back to the pot with the roasted red peppers, cream, and water, then add the penne. The penne cooks in the liquid, which results in an ultra creamy dish.
- When the pasta has almost absorbed the water, add your spinach and stir. Continue cooking until the spinach has wilted and the pasta is al dente, then serve with plenty of grated parmesan!
So there you have it — a recipe that’s ridiculously easy with minimal prep and clean up, AND it’s going to wow the crowd.
This is going to be my go to recipe for entertaining, and I hope it becomes yours too!
Make Barilla and Clos du Bois part of your holiday entertaining!
Recipe tips and substitutions
- Use your favorite type of sausage for this recipe. Turkey, chicken and chorizo are all great options!
- This recipe is easily doubled to feed a crowd.
Need more one pot recipes? See all of my One Pot Meals.
More one pot pasta recipes:
One pot pasta by Damn Delicious
One Pot Creamy Sausage Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. spicy pork sausage casings removed*
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces roasted red peppers drained
- 8 ounces Barilla penne pasta uncooked
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and break up into bite sized chunks with the back of a wooden spoon. Saute until browned and no longer pink, and transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the grease.
- Cook the onion, mushrooms, and garlic in the remaining 1 tablespoon of grease until the onion has softened and the mushrooms have browned and liquid has evaporated, about 5-6 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, puree the roasted red peppers in a food processor until smooth. Add them to the vegetables along with the pork, pasta, water, and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat slightly. Cook until the pasta has absorbed most of the liquid, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking.
- Add the spinach and cook just until wilted and the pasta is al dente. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and serve with freshly grated parmesan. Enjoy!
- *You can use your favorite brand of sausage here, and turkey or chicken would be a great substitution for the pork.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.