Spicy Black Bean and Bacon Soup
The sun may be shining more often around here, but that doesn’t diminish my desire for soup. Clouds or no clouds, I could honestly eat soup every single day. It’s a meal in a bowl, and many soups are loaded with veggies, which is always a bonus! 🙂 I had a hankering for my Spicy Black Bean and Bacon Soup the other night, so I whipped some up and have been enjoying it ever since. I should’ve doubled the recipe, darn it, because it’s almost gone already. This soup is hearty and smoky, with a nice kick. It’s even better with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a dollop of sour cream. Serve it with my Whole Grain Cornbread and you’ve got yourself a meal that you can feel extra good about. Plus, there will be leftovers the next day, if you’re lucky. 😉
This soup is soup-er easy to prepare. Sorry, I’m getting corny on you here…maybe because I’ve got cornbread on my mind now, too! This isn’t a slow cooker recipe, but you can chop your bacon, onions, bell peppers, and mince your garlic ahead of time and store them in the fridge until your ready to put it all together. It’s only about 15 minutes of prep, so it’s doable! You can also use pre-diced pancetta instead of bacon to save yourself some time.
I used to put tomatoes in this soup, but my youngest son has developed a strong dislike for chunky, cooked tomatoes. I now add chopped red bell pepper instead, and it’s really great! This time I happened to have mini red and yellow bell peppers, so I used half red and half yellow. The yellow bell peppers added so much extra flavor that I will now use them all the time! Plus, the more color the better, no? I thought about making a homemade salsa and mixing it in, but I thought the flavors were so perfect, I didn’t want to mess it up. That doesn’t happen to me every day! 😀 If you love black beans, this soup is for you. Give it a try tonight!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 slices of thick cut bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper, seeded
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper, seeded
- (2) 15 ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic, and bacon, and saute for 8 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the spices and bell pepper, and saute another 2 minutes.
- While the bell pepper cooks, mash ½ cup black beans with a bit of the broth in a bowl. The mashed beans will thicken the soup. Add the mashed beans, whole beans, and the broth to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil, reduced heat slightly, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, and avocado, if desired.