BBQ Chicken Smoked Mozzarella Sliders are slider rolls filled with juicy pulled chicken smothered in a tangy barbecue sauce with smoked mozzarella cheese. They’re perfect for Game Day!
Game Day is a big thing in my house. We always look forward to the start of football season — the games are so electric, and every single game counts. While the game is important, so are the food and drinks you serve. The food and beverages can be even more memorable too, especially if the game doesn’t go your way. 🙂
I happen to be a football fan that’s also a huge fan of red wine, so when I was given the opportunity to try a variety of Crios wine, I knew I wanted to pair it with Game Day food. Wine is as great for Game Day as it is for a cocktail party, especially when it’s complimented perfectly by the food that it’s served with.
Don’t you agree? 🙂
Crios Wines is a family-owned brand by Susana Balbo, Argentina’s leading and most innovative winemaker. Crios means “offspring” in Spanish, and was created by Susana as a tribute to her son Jose, and daughter, Ana, who have since joined the family business and add their young-adult point of view to the wines that are dedicated to their family bond.
Crios Wines are harvested from specific areas in Mendoza and Salta in Argentina, where grapes are optimal for the fruit-forward style of Crios. Crios Wines have a background behind each wine, with an inspirational message that also represents either a milestone in Susana’s personal and professional life or the story about how the wine was made.
After reading about each varietal of Crios Wines, I was intrigued. Each one had an inspirational message, life lesson and tasting notes, food pairing, and brief description, as shown below:
- Inspirational message of the wine: Break the rules.
- Life lesson and tasting notes: Susana Balbo transformed Torrontes from a common blending grape to Argentina’s star white wine.
- Her first vintage broke the mold and proved Torrontes’ premium character, defined by its crisp notes of white flower, pear, and ripe peach.
- Pairing: Smoke meats, medium cheeses, fish, crab, sushi
- Brief descriptions: dry, crispy, and aromatic
CRIOS ROSE OF MALBEC
- Inspirational message of the wine: Trust in yourself.
- Life lesson and tasting notes: Susana Balbo strived to make a premium Cabernet Sauvignon in the unproven terroir of Argentina.
- Even in the face of doubt, she trusted her instincts and created an elegant Cabernet that took the world’s attention, laced with notes of plum, dark chocolate, and vanilla spice.
- Pairing: Grilled or roasted meats, empanadas, chili
- Inspirational message of the wine: Be brave.
- Life lesson and tasting notes: Susana Balbo was inspired to change the perception of Malbec from a forgotten grape to Argentina’s iconic varietal.
- Against the odds, Susana bravely created a wine that elevates Malbec to world-class quality full of signature notes of black cherries, oak spice, and violets.
- Pairing: Tuna steak, lamb, hamburgers.
- Brief descriptions: lush with hints of spice.
CRIOS RED BLEND
- Inspirational message of the wine: Explore something new
- Life lesson and tasting notes: Susana Balbo, Argentina’s leading and most innovative winemaker, thrives by exploring the limitless possibilies of blends to make a wine with the most unique character.
- This inspired blend is full of curiosity and discovery. 40% Bonarda, 40% Malbec, 15% Tannat, and 5% Syrah. Explore it’s notes of plum, black pepper spice, and blackberry jam.
- Pairing: BBQ chicken, grilled sausages, smoked Gouda cheese.
- Brief descriptors: layered, juicy, smooth
After reviewing the 4 varietals, I finally made what I considered a tough decision and chose the Red Blend.
I was drawn to Red Blend because I loved the sound of the plum, blackberry jam, and black pepper spice notes — I couldn’t wait to try it! I knew it would be perfect paired with Game Day food because…. hello…..BBQ chicken. 🙂 I also happen to love smoked cheeses, so this sounded right up my alley.
The Red Blend was exactly as it was described — layered, juicy, and smooth. It had a delicious fruit flavor with a little black pepper kick and a nice, smooth finish.
From the pairings listed on the label, it was obvious that smokiness was hey here, so I chose a smoky mesquite barbecue sauce for my pulled chicken, that was tangy, but not too sweet. I had some smoked mozzarella cheese, and added that to my sliders for an even bigger smoky flavor. The sweetness in the wine balanced out the smokiness and the tang of these sliders perfectly.
Maybe you can explore something new and incorporate Crios Wines Red Blend or other variety into your Game Day celebrations as well? With all of the wonderful pairings listed on the label for each variety, you can serve them with any number of your favorite foods.
And naturally you don’t have to wait for Game Day, do you? Any time is a good time to explore something new. 🙂
- 1 recipe Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken (see link in Notes)
- 1 dozen slider rolls (any type of dinner roll will work perfectly)
- ½ - 1 lb. smoked mozzarella cheese, sliced (smoked Gouda may be substituted)
- Prepare the Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken as specified in the recipe. (See Notes)
- Assemble the sliders by placing sliced cheese, followed by the pulled the chicken. Serve and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.