Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork an easy pulled pork recipe that’s perfectly tender every time. It’s braised in beer and smothered homemade bbq sauce!
You know you got a good workout when you’re abs are so sore that you can still barely lean up to get yourself out of bed 2 days later. That’s what I experienced today after a killer TRX workout Sunday. The instructor really keeps us moving hard core the entire hour, so it’s cardio and strength training in one.
That’s what I call efficient, and it really makes me feel like I earned my supper when dinner rolls around. That’s a good thing, because dishes like this Slow Cooker Pulled Pork is often on the menu on Sundays, and I enjoy it that much more knowing I earned it. 🙂
Slow cooker pulled pork
Yesterday I shared these Homemade Burger Buns with you, so today it was important to follow up with something that you can actually fill them with. This bbq pulled pork is just the thing. I’ve made this pork 3 times over the past few months, and it took everything I had to finally get a photo of it last time.
You can’t beat meals like this pulled pork because it’s so easy, it feeds a crowd, and everyone always loves it. Who doesn’t like super tender pulled pork smothered in a tangy, sweet barbecue sauce?
It’s the best kind of make ahead meal.
How to make this recipe
- Rub the roast generously with a simple spice rub the night before.
- In the morning, pop the pork butt in the slow cooker and pour a beer over it. Cook on low for 8 hours or until it shreds easily with a fork.
- While the pork is cooking, prepare the homemade honey pineapple barbecue sauce. You may also opt to use my homemade bourbon bbq sauce or your favorite store bought brand.
- When the pork is done, toss with the desired amount of barbecue sauce and serve.
- This slow cooker pulled pork recipe also makes a great topping for spaghetti squash, baked sweet potato, nachos, or even pizza.
- For best results, don’t cook the pork butt at high temperature for a shorter period of time as it may not be as tender. Low and slow is the way to go.
- The beer may be substituted with water, pineapple juice or the liquid of your choice.
- Barbecue sauce will keep in the fridge tightly sealed for up to 2 weeks.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
For the pork:
- 4 lb. pork shoulder cut into 4 large pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 12 ounces beer use your favorite, or substitute with stock, pineapple juice, apple cider or water
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cumin and sprinkle evenly over the pieces of pork.
- Place the diced onion and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker, then place the pieces of pork over the top.
- Pour the beer over the pork and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for about 6 hours or until tender enough to shred easily.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place in a large bowl. Shred with two forks and add salt and pepper, to taste. Add some of the liquid from the slow cooker for added moisture as necessary and enjoy!
- This slow cooker pulled pork recipe also makes a great topping for baked sweet potato, nachos, or even pizza, or toss with bbq sauce and serve in sandwiches.
- Pork will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, so it's great for meal prep!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.