Cherry Pie Chia Overnight Oats
Cherry Pie Chia Overnight Oats are creamy overnight chia seed oats layered with an easy homemade cherry pie filling. Get your cherry pie fix the overnight oats way!
We’re starting our Monday off with cherry pie and a giveaway — what could be better than that? OK, not real cherry pie, but these Cherry Pie Chia Overnight Oats have homemade cherry pie filling, which makes them cherry pie to me. The filling is the best part anyway, isn’t it?
I get really excited about cherries during the summer. I know I say that about so many different types of produce, but I love my fruits and veggies. What’s a girl to do except get excited about it? 🙂
I also get excited about overnight oats, which you probably know already. My most popular flavor is my chai spiced version, my favorite is my blueberry chia, and I also have recipes for pina colada and pumpkin if you’re so inclined. The chia seeds are a must for me — I’ve tried the oats without and they’re just not the same.
So cherries! Big, plump, juicy cherries…I love ’em all. For this particular recipe however, I used bing cherries because they’re the all-American cherry pie cherry. Which makes these the all-American overnight oats, I presume.
This cherry pie filling only takes about 15 minutes to make, and you can definitely make it ahead. I used my handy cherry pitter which I never thought I needed until I just did, and I haven’t wanted to part with it since. It makes things really easy when pitting those cherries, just do it in a deep enough bowl and don’t wear white.
We’re talking cherry juice spatters…be warned.
Once pitted, cook those cherries down for about 10 minutes with some water, maple syrup or sweetener of choice, and some cornstarch, and you’re left with luscious, glistening cherry pie filling.
If you don’t want to mess around with pitting cherries, by all means buy frozen cherries. Since they’re frozen at their peak, you’ll still get great flavor. And speaking of flavors, you can get creative with that by adding cardamom, orange zest, and even some bourbon to liven things up.
I made my filling the day before and refrigerated overnight with my oats, and layered up my parfaits in the morning. These really are like eating cherry pie the healthy way. This is the new and improved way to eat cherry pie — no lattice topped crust necessary. 🙂
And now for our giveaway!
I’ve teamed up with 15 other bloggers to help celebrate The Emotional Baker’s 100th Recipe! We’re giving away two prizes.
- Grand Prize: $100 Amazon Gift Card.
- 2nd Place: TEB’s Favorite Baking Tools Prize Pack.
The prize pack includes:
- One Camry High Accuracy Digital Kitchen Food Scale // $18.99 value
- One iSi Basics Flex-It Measuring Cups // $24.99 value
- One RSVP Endurance Spice Measuring Spoon Set // $13.95 value
- One Wilton ColorSwirl 3-Color Coupler 9-Piece Decorating Kit // $7.90 value
- One Chef’n Switchit Narrow Silicone Spatula // $9.99 value
Giveaway Made Possible By:
- The Emotional Baker
- Spoonful of Flavor
- Eva Bakes
- Cook Nourish Bliss
- Beer Girl Cooks
- The Seasoned Mom
- No Spoon Necessary
- Beaming Baker
- Like Mother, Like Daughter
- Fresh April Flours
- Vanessa Baked
- Brooklyn Farm Girl
- The Semisweet Sisters
- Just About Baked
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Earn entries by following the host bloggers on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the information as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. EST. One Grand Prize winner and one Second Place winner will be chosen at random and e-mailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $75. Prizes listed above are the only ones available.
- Grand Prize: Open to USA, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom.
Second Place: Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only.
More Overnight Oat recipes you’ll love!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark cherries (thawed if frozen)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or your favorite sweetener
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats*
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or your favorite sweetener
- 2½ cups milk (I used almond milk)
- Place the cherries, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the cherries soften and the juices thicken up, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Cool completely. The filling will thicken as it cools.
- Place the oats, chia seeds, maple syrup, and milk in a large bowl and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 6 hours or overnight.
- Layer the oats in jars with the desired amount of filling, serve and enjoy!
Depending on the size of your jars or bowls, serving sizes vary. A good rule of thumb is 1 heaping tablespoon of the cherry pie filling for every ½ cup overnight oats.
If you have any cherry pie filling leftover, it's also great served over Greek yogurt!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.