Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Ketchup
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Ketchup are smoky sweet potato wedges grilled until soft and charred, and are served with a sweet and spicy Sriracha ketchup. These grilled fries make the perfect summer side dish, no oven required!
Apologies are necessary today. I’ve made these Grilled Sweet Potato Fries about 20 times and haven’t posted them until today. I even photographed them once but didn’t like the photos and put the kabosh on it until later. I figured these photos would do, especially because you need to add these to your grilling repertoire before summer comes to a screeching halt. And it’s starting to screech! It’s August folks — so fire up the grill and keep it fired up. You’re going to want to make plenty of these here fries. 🙂
What’s so special about these fries, you may ask? Let me count the ways. (1) They’re sweet and smoky; (2) Everything is better with grill marks; (3) They’re easy; (4) You don’t need to turn on the oven in the heat of summer to get your homemade fries; and last but not least, (5) sweet and spicy Sriracha ketchup, of course! I could go on and on, but I’ll stop there. 😉
I’ve explained before that I order sweet potato fries over regular every single time, unless a restaurant doesn’t doesn’t have them. I’m in shock when I go somewhere and there are no sweet potato fries on the menu. Really…how could anyone not serve them? Please help me understand.
I’ve never made regular fries at home, either. Normally I make my Spicy Orange Baked Sweet Potato Fries, but I’ve been growing weary of using the oven. I didn’t even know you could successfully grill a sweet potato in such a short time. It’s like my head’s been under a rock or something! I’ve definitely been making up for lost time.
You know what else you can do with these grilled sweet potatoes other than dip them in ketchup and devour them? I cut them into chunks and made a grilled sweet potato salad out of them, and it was awesome! It was reminiscent of my Maple Bacon Roasted Red Potato Salad, which has no mayo — just a super delicious vinaigrette. I’m telling you this because maybe you need yet another reason to make these fries? I told you I could go on and on.
Now, the ketchup is special enough with Sriracha in it, but I also added some fresh ginger and orange juice to transform this ketchup into something more. The orange is more of a background flavor, while the ginger adds a big pop of flavor. If you like things nice and spicy, add more sriracha, and more ginger. Customize away! 🙂
These grilled sweet potato fries are so quick and easy, you’ll be wondering why you’ve never made them before, too. I’ve got your back, though — I’m sharing them with you because you need this super simple summer side dish. It’s gonna be a crowd pleaser any way you serve them, so just serve them before summer’s over. Something tells me you’ll be grilling them long after summer’s over. I know I will. 🙂
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (or more if you like it spicier!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger*
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the ketchup, sriracha, orange juice, and ginger in a small bowl and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Place the sweet potatoes, olive oil, maple syrup, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl and toss until the sweet potato wedges are well coated. Grill about 4 minutes per side, or until softened with nice grill marks, about 8-10 minutes total depending on thickness. The sweet potato wedges will be slightly blistered when they're ready. Remove from the grill, sprinkle with extra sea salt if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
If you have big ketchup lovers, you may want to double this recipe! It will keep stored in the fridge in an air tight container if you have leftovers.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.