Kale Salad with Goat Cheese, Cranberries, and Orange is lacinto kale with creamy goat cheese, dried cranberries, fresh orange and pepitas, tossed in a citrus maple vinaigrette.
Christmas has always been a huge baking fiesta for me, but somehow I just haven’t gotten down with too much yet. I’ve been into healthier food since my Thanksgiving pie-baking spree, thank you very much, and right now I’ll take a bowl of this salad over a Christmas cookie any day of the week.
If it weren’t for my son’s birthday this past week, I’d have nothing sweet for you, but thanks to him I’ll be posting a luscious Christmas treat for you this week. Until then….more scrumptious seasonal fare!
The week before Thanksgiving my husband and I took a trip together, and when we got off the plane at the end of our trip, we stopped by one of our favorite restaurants with a market that sells the dishes on their menu to-go. I spied a kale salad right away and snatched it up to eat at home. This Kale Salad with Goat Cheese, Cranberries, and Orange is my version of that salad….lacinto kale, creamy goat cheese, dried cranberries, and a few touches of my own. I added some orange for color and sweetness, along with some green onions for a nice, savory bite.
I used the same citrus maple vinaigrette that I used in my Roasted Beet Citrus Salad because it’s one of my favorites. It’s the perfect compliment to this salad!
One bite of this salad, and you may choose it over Christmas cookies, too. 🙂
And now, it’s Eat Seasonal time! Thanks to Becky from The Vintage Mixer for organizing another month of Eat Seasonal, where a group of bloggers link up delicious seasonal recipes. The produce listed on this month’s guide is some of my favorite…who says spring and summer produce is the best? 🙂
And isn’t this graphic just gorgeous?
Please don’t forget to visit the other delicious dishes from the Eat Seasonal bloggers, as well as Becky’s December Seasonal Produce Guide for even more inspiration. You can also tag your own seasonal dishes with the hashtag #eatseasonal as well to join in on the fun!
Pomegranate Yogurt Bowls by Mountain Mama Cooks
Persimmon Pumpkin Tart with Streusel Top by Suitcase Foodist
Meyer Lemon Cottage Cheese Sugar Cookies by Food for My Family
Christmas Stollen Madeleines with Preserved Lemon by Simple Bites
Avocado Toast with Persimmon, Pomegranate and Fennel by Floating Kitchen
Butternut Squash Cake with Roasted Apples and Spiced Cream by Vintage Mixer
Persimmon Tart with Pecan Crust by Letty’s Kitchen
Cabbage Slaw with Honey Lime Yogurt Vinaigrette by The Lemon Bowl
Roasted Persimmon Butter by Cafe Johnsonia
Lemon Poppyseed Baked Oatmeal by Project Domestication
Persimmon Apple Crumb Pie by Kitchen Confidante
Asian Orange Glazed Chicken by Foodie Crush
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch lacinto kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped or torn (about 8 cups)
- 1 large navel orange or (4) clementines peeled, then sliced widthwise and cut into triangles
- 2 green onions, both white and green parts, sliced
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup toasted pepitas*
- Place the orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup, dijon, and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk till combined. Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Add the desired amount of dressing and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.