Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad is clean eating at its best! This vegan salad is crunchy, addictive, and tossed in a refreshing lemon vinaigrette!
December has been eventful already…my oldest son turned 16 years old! I can’t help but wonder how this happened so fast. It’s like he jumped from taking his first steps to driving with nothing in between.
Luckily my husband handled teaching our son to drive because that whole thing stresses me out. I did take my son out once after my husband taught him the basics and I was so nervous.
He’s doing great, but I’ve just got to find a way to relax with my 16 year old at the wheel.
I’m open to suggestions 🙂
All that aside, I created this Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad about a month ago when I was craving something fresh, clean and crunchy. It’s completely plant-based and loaded with nutrient rich superfoods!
It also balances out all of my mad gingerbread and chocolate-peppermint cravings at the moment. 🙂
I prepare roasted brussels sprouts and air fryer brussels sprouts, but eating them raw is my favorite way to enjoy them. When they’re thinly shaved, they’re crisp and crunchy like cabbage slaw but the cabbage flavor is much more mild.
I make variations of this shaved brussels sprout salad all fall/winter long!
I added chopped curly kale to this salad to give it even more heartiness and flavor. I love the deep bitter flavor of kale, especially when paired with sweet fruits like apples, grapes and oranges.
This Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad recipe came together perfectly with sweet crisp Fuji apple, green onions, and crunchy hazelnuts.
Normally I love adding dried cranberries to salads like this for chewiness, but I had a pomegranate in the fridge and I knew they would be the perfect touch.
They’re like the crown jewels of autumn/winter and make this salad look even more inviting!
Toss this salad up with my bright, tangy lemon vinaigrette and you’ve got one of the freshest, tastiest salads ever.
The fact that it’s easy on the eyes certainly doesn’t hurt either. 🙂
What I love most about this salad is that it keeps very well. The shaved brussels sprouts and kale won’t get soggy on you, so you can make it (and dress it!) in advance.
It’s perfect for lunch during the week or as a side dish for entertaining. And doesn’t it scream holidays?
This salad is proof that clean eating isn’t boring.
It’s downright delicious.
More healthy recipes you’ll love:
If you try this recipe I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment and rating below, or tag me at @flavorthemoments on Instagram!
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
- 3 cups curly kale chopped (about 1/2 bunch)
- 8 ounces brussels sprouts trimmed, halved and shaved thin
- 1 medium apple I used fuji, diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 green onion both white and green parts, sliced thinly on the bias
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts*
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Place the kale, brussels sprouts, apple, pomegranate, and green onions in large bowl.
- Pour the desired amount of dressing over the salad (you may not need it all) and toss to coat. Serve with the chopped hazelnuts and enjoy!
- This salad keeps very well and is great for lunches during the week. For best results, add the hazelnuts right before serving to keep them nice and crunchy.
- *I used Trader Joe’s pre-toasted hazelnuts. They’re a great timesaver!
- If pomegranates aren’t in season, substitute with dried cranberries or cherries.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.