Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes is a guide to making perfect, fluffy mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker!
There are a few things that I consume every day, and I’m pretty sure by now you know that three of them are coffee, chocolate and peanut butter. 🙂
It may come as a surprise to you, but I eat potatoes almost every day in some form, too. It doesn’t matter if they’re sweet potatoes, fingerlings or yukon golds…just give me all the potatoes!
I actually prefer roasted potatoes with nice crispy edges, but my husband and boys always prefer them mashed. And since I’m outnumbered, I make mashed potatoes pretty often.
These Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes happen to be the fifth mashed potato recipe on this site!
That may sound like mashed potato overkill, but all of the recipes are different in their own way. Two are cooked the traditional way, one is twice baked, and one is made in the slow cooker.
Now that I’ve developed this recipe for Instant Pot mashed potatoes, I feel complete. 🙂
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Why was it so important to me to create an instant pot mashed potato recipe? Because cooking potatoes in the pressure cooker results in perfectly tender potatoes in only 8 minutes of cooking time.
There’s no boiling a big pot of water, either. All you need is one cup!
These Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are my preferred method to make creamy, fluffy and amazing mashed potatoes.
How to make Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
As I mentioned, making mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier.
Peel the potatoes and cut into about 2″ chunks, and place in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Smash the garlic cloves, peel them, and toss them in with the potatoes.
Add the water and salt, then secure the lid and close the sealing valve. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
From here, drain the potatoes in a colander and place back in the Instant Pot. Add some softened butter, room temperature half and half, salt and pepper to taste, and get mashing!
The potatoes are so tender, it won’t take long at all. 🙂
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
I highly recommend using yukon gold potatoes for these mashed potatoes. They make the creamiest mashed potatoes, and I don’t use anything else!
The half and half may be substituted for whole milk, heavy cream, a combination of both, or low fat milk to make them lighter.
Add more or less liquid to achieve the desired consistency.
More mashed potato recipes you’ll love!
- 3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2" chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup half and half, room temperature
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh chives or parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Place the potatoes and garlic in the Instant Pot, then add the water and salt. Secure the lid and close the sealing valve, and cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release the pressure when finished cooking. Note: the Instant Pot will take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure before the cooking time begins.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, then add back to the Instant Pot. Add the butter, half and half, salt and pepper to taste, and mash well.
- Serve mashed potatoes topped with fresh chives. Enjoy!
- I highly recommend using yukon gold potatoes for these mashed potatoes. They make the creamiest mashed potatoes, and I don't use anything else!
- The half and half may be substituted for whole milk, heavy cream, a combination of both, or low fat milk to make them lighter.
- Add more or less liquid to achieve the desired consistency.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 170mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Protein: 5g