Summer Kale Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Summer Kale Salad with Blueberries, Cherries, and Goat Cheese is an addicting kale salad tossed in a balsamic maple vinaigrette!
I was on a family vacation last week for the Fourth of July and feel like I’ve been gone forever! We had a lot of relaxation and fun in the sun, so I’m refreshed and ready to go.
I’m always thrilled to get back into my kitchen after vacation. I’ve really missed cooking.
This Summer Kale Salad with Blueberries, Cherries, and Goat Cheese is pretty much what I was living on before I went on vacation, and I’m so happy that I’m finally sharing it with you today!
Summer kale salad
I don’t keep my love for kale a secret….I just can’t get enough of it. I grow the lacinto (aka dinosaur) kale variety in my garden and love being able to grab what I need for soups, smoothies, pasta, and salads like this.
See my kale recipes here.
Kale is phenomenal any way you cook it as far as I’m concerned, but my favorite way to enjoy it is raw. I love the bold flavor and hearty texture in salads and that it won’t get limp and lifeless once it’s tossed with dressing.
Quite possibly you’ve steered clear from kale because of its bitter flavor, but that can be remedied. If you give kale a massage, the fibrous leaves break down and wilt slightly and the bitter flavor mellows.
I haven’t tried this technique yet, but I’ve heard great things about it and definitely plan to try it in the near future.
My Kale Salad with Goat Cheese, Cranberries, and Orange is my most popular kale salad recipe, so I decided to give it a summery superfood twist.
Superfoods are nutrient-rich powerhouses that promote good health. The kale, blueberries, cherries, green onions, and almonds all fit into the superfood category. They’re foods that you can easily incorporate into your diet to get an extra dose of vitamins and minerals.
Not only is this summer kale salad recipe packed with super foods — it tastes super too. 🙂
I’m a huge fan of sweet and savory foods, and this salad has it all. These ingredients were meant to be together and I’ll be making (and eating) this salad all summer long.
This is the best kale salad ever. 🙂
And now it’s Eat Seasonal time, where a group of bloggers join up to share recipes featuring seasonal produce!
I used blueberries, cherries, green onions, and greens in my summer kale salad.
- 1 bunch lacinto kale, torn (discard tough inner stem)
- 1 cup fresh cherries, stemmed, pitted, and halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 green onions, both white and green parts, sliced on the bias
- 3 ounces (about 1/3 cup) crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Place the kale, cherries, blueberries, green onion, goat cheese, and almonds in a large bowl.
- Pour the 1/2 of the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!
- The nutrition information contains only half of the dressing. Store the remaining dressing in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to one week.
- To toast your almonds, place in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant.
Serving Size:6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g